Your Business in Easton
"Due to Easton's proximity to both Manhattan and Philadelphia, not to mention its charm and affordability, the City has become an ideal location for urban professionals looking for a higher quality of life. With its revitalized business scene, culture, cuisine, and nightlife, plus its family-friendly vibe and accessibility to nature, you could argue that Easton is becoming the new Brooklyn." - Garett Vassel, Optima Durant Group; 2019
"The town has so much to offer and we love the renaissance Easton is currently experiencing. I would have never thought that in my lifetime we would be part of the revitalization of such a great place. We're so happy to be part of Easton's continued growth and progress." - Jim Henkel, MetaBank (formerly EPS Financial)
For those current City businesses seeking support and loan / technical assistance resources through the City's Business Retention Assistance ("BRACE") program, please visit the Business Retention Assistance page.
With over 27,000 residents, in a region of 844,052, Easton - Northampton's County Seat - is a dynamic workplace and community that boasts a diverse economy with a vibrant cosmopolitan downtown. The Downtown, along with the three other largely residential districts of the City - the West Ward, South Side, and College Hill - are all seeing unprecedented growth and investment.
2020 Census Estimates
- College Hill Population = 5,823
- Downtown Population = 2,363
- South Side Population = 9,046
- West Ward Population = 10,042
Total = 27,274
- One of three cities in the Lehigh Valley region, one of the five fastest growing economies in the U.S. (under 1,000,000 in population).
- Fastest growing city in the Lehigh Valley in terms of Median Household Income (over 15% since 2015).
- More than $150 million in private investment currently in process within the City.
- The home of Lafayette College, The Crayola Experience, The State Theatre, PA Bacon Fest, and location of editorial operations for several Hearst Publications.
- According to Discover Lehigh Valley, Lehigh and Northampton Counties drew 16.5 million visitors in 2018-2019. Easton welcomes over 500,000 visitors annually!
- More than 30 diverse restaurants and pubs.
- 25% of U.S. population lives within 250 miles of the City.
- Most common (and growing!) industries in Easton include manufacturing, health care & social assistance, and retail trade.
For more information regarding Easton's demographics, please visit the following link.
A great guiding resource in beginning to consider entering the Easton business community is the Business Pre-Opening / Expansion Checklist (PDF), which will help you navigate those first crucial steps, namely in meeting and collaborating with City staff. Additional steps are highlighted below and discussed further in this section.
The City has partnered with ZoomProspector to provide a database of available commercial properties in our community. This Google Maps-style interface makes finding a location for your business in the City easier. Take a look at what we have to offer via ZoomProspector and then contact us to learn more about how we can help you locate your business in Easton.
Advertising Your Commercial Space
This is also a free service to help promote your available commercial property. If you would like to add your available commercial space to the database, email Sean Ziller. Please include the address, available square footage/acreage, whether a sale or lease opportunity, price, and photo of the space, with the Subject "Available Commercial Space", and we will gladly add it to the database.
The key for new business owners is the ability to develop a strategic business plan and, as necessary, explore avenues of potential financing. With these critical steps in mind, the City of Easton and DCED, along with our community partners, are ready to assist where possible. Below are an initial set of useful, regionally-located tools and resources.
- Business.PA.gov - Commonwealth of Pennsylvania site; your one-stop shop for doing business in PA.
- SCORE Lehigh Valley - Powered by the U.S. Small Business Administration, SCORE provides expert advice and feedback via a face-to-face business mentoring program.
- Small Business Development Center (SBDC) - The SBDC at Lehigh University, sponsored by the U.S. SBA and the Commonwealth of PA's "Prep" program, offers support, programs, and services both during the pre-venture stages of opening a business and throughout routine operation and potential business expansion.
- Rising Tide (CACLV) - Provides a full range of one-on-one business counseling, microloans, technical resources and assistance to business owners where resources and opportunities for growth are limited (i.e. Small Business Opportunity Loan Fund).
- Community First Fund - A private, independent non-profit Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) that provides entrepreneurs with access to business development loans for projects that generate jobs, create affordable housing, and help to revitalize communities.
- Lehigh Valley Economic Development Corporation (LVEDC); Credit / Financing Programs for Businesses - As part of the Lehigh Valley Lending Network, this LVEDC resource details available low-cost loans and other financing options.
- Area Loan Programs are detailed on the Lehigh University Financing Assistance page, notably the "Lehigh and Northampton Counties Revolving Loan Fund" which provides funds from $10,000 - $50,000 for property, construction, renovation, machinery and equipment, and working capital (contact Chris Hudock at 484-893-1039 for more information about this loan).
BID loans through the Greater Easton Development Partnership (GEDP) are also available for commercial buildings and businesses in the Downtown. Contact the City's DCED for more information.